Translate

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Food Review Maggie Thai & Chinese Restaurant

Some time back, I visited Maggie Thai & Chinese Restaurant, which is situated at the heart of the city, minutes walk away from Bugis Junction.


When I was there, I was captivated by all the old clocks hanging on the walls. Each piece a unique antique, a collection of Auntie Maggie's husband.


Below are the dishes we had at Maggie Thai & Chinese Restaurant and prices stated are before GST and Service charge.


Cereal Butter Prawn 
Available in Small (S$16), Medium (S$22), and Large (S$28).


I love the tangy taste of the prawns, full of buttery flavour mixed with the natural sweetness and freshness of the prawns. The prawns were quite huge in size, giving me the feeling of satisfaction when I put the whole prawn in my mouth and let the flavours burst on my tongue which made me crave for more after each mouth. However, I think the cereals didn't render much help to this dish as the cereals are quite tasteless, only crunchy and crispy in texture. I prefer the cereals to have milky with slight sweet and salty flavours.

My rating: 4/5   


Salted Egg Prawn 
Available in Small (S$16), Medium (S$22), and Large (S$28).


No doubt, the prawns were fresh and chewy in texture, however, there was minimal salted egg flavour and more of the buttery taste. If you would like some spiciness, I recommend you to have a slice of the red chilli, which helped to level up this dish and gave it more distinctive flavours. However, if you can't take spiciness of red chilli, then you might find this just an average prawn dish.

My rating: 3.5/5


Assam Fish Head
Available only in Large (S$23).


This is my favourite dish! I love the perfectness of the assam sauce, a mixture of different flavours which is a definite to-die-for. My appetite increased as I have more of the assam sauce. Even the lady fingers, eggplants, tomatoes and pineapples cooked with this dish were soaked with the goodness and flavours of the assam sauce. The fish was fresh and well cooked, not tough or hard in texture. Highly recommended everyone to try this dish! 

My rating: 5/5 


Steamed Grouper
Available in Small (S$26), Medium (S$30), and Large (S$35).


The soup has a blend mixture of sourness from lime and slight spiciness from the onions and chillis. The taste of this dish was pretty average, I'm not really impressed as I thought their soup could be stronger in flavour. The fish was fresh and well prepared but the soup really downgraded the taste of this dish.

My rating: 2.5/5


Triple Taste Grouper
Available in Small (S$26), Medium (S$30), and Large (S$35).


The skin of the fish was fried to crispiness but I think the fish was slightly over fried as the meat was dry and a little tough. The triple taste sauce was addictive as it was a mixture of saltiness, spiciness and slight sweetness which suited my taste buds but if only every part of the fish was covered with the sauce instead of being separated from the sauce, the taste of this dish would be much awesome.

My rating: 3/5 


Red Curry Fried Beef
Available in Small (S$13), Medium (S$16), and Large (S$22).


The red curry is a mixture of freshly prepared tomato sauce, curry powder and much more which was self-made in their kitchen. The red curry had multiple tastes and it was addictive and savoury for me. I love the sauce. Beef was chewy but a little on the soft side in texture, which I can't really tell it was beef. The taste and texture were more like cooked Venison.

My rating: 3/5


Butter Squid
Available in Small (S$12), Medium (S$15), and Large (S$20).


The squid was fresh, tasty and lightly coated in butter and flour batter. The texture was crispy on the outside, yet soft and chewy on the inside. A truly delicious dish which you can opt to dip the squid with mayonnaise or sweet Thai chilli. 

My rating: 4/5


For beverage, I had Coconut Water


The flesh of the coconut was a little hard but the coconut water had the natural sweetness and gave refreshing feeling. A great cooling drink for this hot weather. 


Through out the many years of operation, since 1998, Maggie Thai & Chinese Restaurant had received numerous accolades for the scrumptious dishes that the Lady boss Auntie Maggie cooks.


Thank you Streetdirectory for the invitation and Maggie Thai & Chinese Restaurant for hosting us. =)

Address:
Liang Seah Place #01-01/02, 1 Liang Seah Street, Singapore 189022

Tel : 
6837 0129

Hours of Operations :
Mon - Thurs: 11.00am - 11.00pm,
Fri: 11.00am - 11.30pm,
Sat: 11.30am - 11.30pm,
Sun: 11.30am - 11.00pm
xoxo,
Yvonne
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter: @SimYvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...