Translate

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review: Dermalogica UltraCalming Skincare

Hi lovely readers, do you remember the Dermalogica samples I received after my UltraCalming Barrier Defense Facial at Leonard Drake?

I've promised a review about this Dermalogica UltraCalming Skincare range in my earlier post, so here I am, sharing my reviews about these products. Hope you will find my reviews useful! :)


The samples given to me consisted of the Ultracalming Cleanser, Ultracalming Relief Masque, Ultracalming Serum Concentrate, Barrier Repair and Skin Smoothing Cream. Products have been arranged in order of usage.

After my medical peel at SkinLab Medical Spa in early May, the Dermalogica UltraCalming skincare range came in handy which I used to calm my skin and reduce skin redness, and after I've finished using these samples, I've used Elicina cream (snail cream) to help my skin in regenerating and healing. (I will share my review about Elicina cream soon).

After the medical peel, I woke up with a slight red face on the second day. The redness wasn't due to the medical peel but the extraction, so I had spots of redness on my face but the redness wasn't as bad as the other facials that I went to. And remembering that my Beauty Therapist at SkinLab Medical Spa used products to calm my skin and hence reducing the redness on my face, I decided to see whether Dermalogica UltraCalming skincare range would be able to help me reduce the redness on my face as well.


Firstly, let me share my review about the Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser.
This cleanser contains no artificial fragrance or colour and is suitable for people with very sensitive skin. 

Let me show you how this cleanser works on my skin. This cleanser didn't produce any foam, so I can't show the washing part but I'll show you the difference of my skin after using the cleanser.

Picture 1 shows my skin before wash and the cleanser. Picture 2 shows my skin after wash.

My thoughts:
Without mixing with water, the cleanser has a slight velvety texture. After mixing with water, the cleanser felt slight creamy but no foam was produced. The cleanser felt very mild on my skin and even thought it's able to wash off some of the sebum on the surface of my skin, it still doesn't give me the 'clean' feeling after wash. I guess this cleanser is either too mild for my skin or I'm not use to using this kind of cleanser. I've only used gel, milky, and cream before but not this kind of cleanser, so this was a totally new experience for me. I find this cleanser most suitable for people with very dry, sensitive skin. Therefore, I find that this cleanser didn't work fantastically for my oily T-zone but works quite well for my dry cheeks.

My rating: 3/5


After cleansing of face, the next step is to apply the Dermalogica Ultracalming Relief Masque.
This masque is said to be suitable for use anytime when your skin experiences flare-ups, redness and rosacea. You may read the description above to understand more about how this masque works. Leave the masque on for 10 mins and rinse off after that.

Let me share with you how this masque worked on my skin. Picture 1 shows the masque and my skin before applying the masque. Picture 2 shows the masque after spreading. The masque looks kind of creamy and glossy on my skin. Picture 3 shows the masque 10 mins later, and most of masque had been absorbed. Picture 4 shows my skin after rinsing off the masque.   

My thoughts:
I must admit that I adore this masque a lot but the one thing that I don't like about this masque is the scent because it smells like Correction fluid with a tinge scent of Oat. This scent combination is really kind of weird and that's why I didn't like it. However, the good thing is that the scent isn't so strong and the scent will fade off after leaving the masque on for about 5 mins. For the colour and texture, this masque comes in a white, creamy, slight watery form and it is super easy to spread out on my skin. Apply a rich amount on the skin and you get amazing effect after rinsing off the masque.
Let me share with you why I love this masque a lot :
1. The masque removes sebum from my skin effectively and moisturises my skin at the same time, making my skin feel really smooth after rinsing off the masque.
2. It calms down my skin very fast. Just 10 mins and after rinsing off, I can see that the redness on my skin immediately turned to a shade of pale pink. 
3. After rinsing off, no feeling of dryness, tightness or greasiness on my skin.
The feeling after using this masque is truly awesome! It effectively calms down my skin and reduce redness. Thumb up for this product! :))

My rating: 4/5


After using the masque, the next step is to apply the Dermalogica Ultracalming Serum Concentrate.
This serum also contains Oat and Botanical actives that interrupts skin inflammatory and helps to calm, restore and defend sensitised skin.

Picture 1 shows the serum and my skin before spreading the serum. Picture 2 shows that the serum is of a slight watery texture. In Picture 3, the serum leaves a very slight gloss on my skin but in less than a minute, the serum got fully absorbed into my skin. Picture 4 shows my skin after the serum got absorbed. 

My thoughts:
This is also one of my favourite products in the Dermalogica UltraCalming skincare range. The serum felt lightweight on my skin, it didn't clog my pore, it keeps my skin moisturised, and it has a very nice scent. The scent is so pleasant and soothing. After applying this serum onto my skin, I've also noticed that my skin's redness lightens by quite a bit. I love this product! :)

My rating: 4/5 


The second last product is the Dermalogica Barrier Repair.
This product is supposed to work like a 'shield' to protect the skin against environmental and internal triggers.


My thoughts:
This product left a velvety, smooth texture on my skin after applying it and it feels like I'm applying face primer on my skin, smoothening the texture of my skin. However, I don't really fancy this product because it clogged my pores and I experience breakouts from it. After I've applied this product onto my skin, it also felt like there's something weighing on my skin and I didn't like this kind of feeling. When I got to know that this product helps to shield the skin against environmental and internal triggers, I have high expectations for this product but this product is quite a disappointment for me after I've tried it.

My rating: 1/5


The last product is the Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream.
This product is said to help maintain skin's moisture balance and improve skin's texture.

Now let's see how this product worked on my skin.

My thoughts:
The first thing that disturbed me when I use this product is the scent. The scent smells so chemical and strong, and the scent stays on my skin for quite long, even after the product got absorbed into my skin. However, I love the moisturising effect of this product. This product comes in a creamy texture, it is moisturising yet does not leave any stickiness, greasiness or shine on my skin. It gives my skin the smooth feeling after applying it. I prefer to use this alone than to use it together with the other Dermalogica UltraCalming products as it will feel heavy on my skin if I apply it together with the Dermalogica UltraCalming serum and Barrier Repair. Overall, the product is quite good for my skin and I will like it more if not for its scent.

My rating: 3/5


That's all for the review and thanks for reading.    



Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to Dermalogica, Singapore. Reviews published here are based on my own experiences and opinions. I am not getting paid for sharing the reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    this site is very good site.i really enjoy this site & known it is very useful for us...Keep up the great work!
    Dermalogica products

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...